Wednesday, May 18, 2011

menopause

I know I've been missing in action which is not a great thing having just returned to blog world but I have a very good reason:

my ovaries are gone and I kind of miss them.

Life has been a bit frantic - I received a call late in the afternoon on Thursday, May 5 informing me my new surgery date was Monday, May 9 at 11:00 am. After shaking my head a few dozen times I quickly lined up husband, work, friends and then sat back to try to get my mind around the idea of being launched into immediate menopause.

Surgery went off without a hitch, though they were 2 1/2 hours late bringing me in but at least I had the operation right? Unlike LAST time where I was sent home 15 minutes before the procedure was supposed to begin.

But I'm feeling a bit wiped - I describe the first week of recovery feeling like I had survived a gang war, having been shot, stabbed and beaten. One thing I didn't expect was being pumped full of gas and the resulting pain in my shoulders was ridiculous - I think the oxycodone was used more to manage that pain rather than the abdominal pain.

If you're all curious about my menopausal symptoms, even if it's to measure how wise it is to be in my company (note: I have NOT hurt husband or children ... yet. I did come close to throwing a green plastic toy at husband's head but I did NOT. I have keen self control.) I'm finding night time the hardest. I am having hot flashes but haven't broken out in sweats, I'll wake up for whatever reason (hot, cats, pain, husband snoring) and once awake, am awake for a very long time so feel like I walk around in a permanent state of exhaustion. Mood swings are not bad though I did yell at a driver for being incapable of making an expedient right hand turn, that it's not brain surgery, but that's acceptable ... I mean they have to learn, right? And I did have a mild discussion with husband on the same drive about the flipping heat in the car and was he trying to kill me?

I'm still waiting to hear from my oncologist to see if I can use an estrogen patch to manage symptoms but he's not freaking getting back to me.

Should make for interesting blog writing as I work through the mood swings - I'll make sure I use these prime times to write.

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment